Links and Resources
Services for Aging Californians
- Area Agencies on Aging
- Adult Day Health Care/Community-Based Adult Services
- Aging and Disability Resource Connection
- Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program
- Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program
- Multipurpose Senior Services Program
- Senior Community Service Employment Program
If you would like to arrange for an appointment with a HICAP registered counselor you can:
- Call the statewide toll-free HICAP number 1-800-434-0222
- Contact a local office using our list of counties.
There are several agencies that provide guidance and resources specifically addressing Medicare, Medi-Cal, health insurance, managed care and long-term care insurance issues.
Medicare Education and Information
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services is the official U.S. Government site for Medicare. Contact Medicare by phone at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). TTY/TTD users can call 1-877-486-2048.
- Medicare Complaints is the official site where individuals may submit feedback about Medicare health plans or prescription drug plans directly to Medicare. For complex complaints or personalized assistance call HICAP at 1-800-434-0222 or contact your local HICAP office.
- California Health Advocates is a non-profit organization dedicated to Medicare advocacy and education for Californians.
- Medicare Rights Center is a national, nonprofit consumer service organization that works to ensure access to affordable health care for older adults and people with disabilities through counseling and advocacy, educational programs, and public policy initiatives.
- National Council on Aging/Benefits for Seniors partners with nonprofit organizations, government, and business to provide innovative community programs and services, online help, and advocacy.
- State Health Assistance Insurance Program provides information on Medicare Counseling and health insurance assistance for those residing outside of California
Medi-Cal and Medicare Information
- CalMediConnect/Duals Demonstration Program is a project to improve care for California’s seniors and people with disabilities who are dually eligible for both Medicare and Medi-Cal.
- California Department of Health Care Services provides Californians, including millions of low-income and disabled Californians each and every day with access to affordable, high-quality health care, including medical, dental, mental health, substance use disorder services, and long-term services and supports.
- Justice in Aging is a national non-profit legal advocacy organization that fights senior poverty through law.
- CalMediConnect Ombudsman Advocacy Services is a special program designed for CalMediConnect enrollees to assist with issues or problems, filing appeals and complaints with Cal MediConnect plans, and referring enrollees to other programs if needed.
Health Insurance and Managed Care
- California Department of Insurance enforces the insurance laws of California, has authority over how insurers and licensees conduct business in California, and educates consumers. Individuals may call the Consumer Hotline at 1-800-927-4357.
- Consumer Resources/National Association of Insurance Commissioners assists state insurance regulators, individually and collectively, in serving the public interest and achieving fundamental insurance regulatory goals in a responsive, efficient and cost effective manner, consistent with the wishes of its members.
- California Department of Managed Care Help Center explains health care rights and helps individuals understand how to use their health care benefits. The Help Center can also resolve problems individuals may have with their health plan.
- Covered California (for Non-Medicare insurance coverage) is the place where Californians can get brand-name health insurance under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. It’s the only place to get federal premium assistance to help individuals buy private insurance.
- Office of the Patient Advocate coordinates, assists, and collects data from state health care consumer assistance call centers (operated by Covered California, Department of Health Care Services, Department of Insurance, and Department of Managed Health Care) to enable health care consumers to access the health care services for which they are eligible. To get help with a health care problem, individuals may contact the California Consumer Assistance Program at toll-free 1-888-466-2219.
- Quality Health Care Report Cards on health plans and medical groups are created using several sources of health care quality data.
Long-Term Care Insurance
- California Department of Insurance provides a Long-Term Care Rate and History Guide consisting of an overview of long-term care insurance, the reported sample rates by the company, the consumer service telephone numbers reported by the company, the types of benefits and policies you can buy (both as an individual and as a member of a group or partnership), the policy comparison reports, and a premium history (i.e. rate history report) of each company that sells long-term care insurance.
- The California Partnership for Long-Term Care is dedicated to educating Californians on the need to plan ahead for their future long-term care needs and to consider private insurance as a vehicle to fund that care.
- Consumer Resources/National Association of Insurance Commissioners provides tips and several resources about long-term care and insurance. Also offers a free Shoppers Guide to Long-Term Care.
- Taking Care of Tomorrow is a helpful booklet produced in English and Spanish language versions by the California Department of Aging.
- Services By County
- Programs & Services
- Where To Call For Local Services
- Additional Resources
- California Health and Human Services Agency
- Contact CDA
- Contact HICAP at 1-800-434-0222 or use our list of counties
- Basic Medicare coverage
- Choosing a prescription drug plan
- How to become a HICAP counselor
- Finding a speaker to talk about Medicare
- Making an appointment to discuss long-term care insurance
- Reporting Medicare fraud and abuse
- Switching from a Medicare Advantage Plan to Original Medicare
- My Medicare Advantage plan
- Finding a doctor who is part of my CalMediConnect plan
- Programs offered by the Department of Aging
- Help for someone who doesn’t live in California
California HICAP is part of a national network of State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIP). SHIP is a Federal Administration for Community Living (ACL) grant program that helps states enhance and support a network of local programs, staff, and volunteers. HICAP is supported by the California Department of Aging with financial assistance through a grant from the Administration for Community Living.