Family Caregiver Support (Title IIIE)
The California Department of Aging administers the Family Caregiver Support Program (FCSP), funded by the federal Older Americans Act (OAA), through contracts with the network of Area Agencies on Aging (AAA). AAAs provide services directly, or through partnerships with other public or private agencies.
The OAA, through FCSP, seeks to provide a local, multifaceted system of support services to (1) unpaid family caregivers of older adults, and (2) grandparents, or other older relatives, with primary caregiving responsibilities for a child.
FCSP services include, but are not limited to:
- RESPITE CARE that provides caregivers with temporary in-home or out of home relief from caregiving responsibilities.
- SUPPORT SERVICES including caregiver assessments, counseling, support groups, and training.
- SUPPLEMENTAL SERVICES that provide assistive devices, home adaptations, caregiver registry services, and emergency cash or material aid, on a limited basis, to assist with caregiving responsibilities.
- ACCESS ASSISTANCE including information assistance, interpretation/translation, and legal resources for caregivers.
- INFORMATION SERVICES that provide public information and community education on resources and services available to current and potential caregivers and their families.
FCSP services are designed to reduce caregiver burden, enable caregivers to remain in the workforce, and prevent or delay the need for a higher level of care for the care receiver.
Eligibility for FCSP services requires that an older adult’s family caregiver must be 18 years of age or older.
Older care receivers must be age 60 years or older, or individuals of any age with Alzheimer’s disease or a related disorder with neurological and organic brain dysfunction.
Grandparent or other older relative caregivers must be age 55 or older.
Child care receivers must be 18 years of age or younger, or individuals of any age with a disability. FCSP has no income requirement.
Regulations and Requirements
Program Memoranda (PM)
- Administration for Community Living/Administration on Aging
- Alzheimer’s Association
- California Area Agencies on Aging
- California Caregiver Resource Centers
- California Department of Health Care Services – Caregiver Resources
- Caregiver Action Network
- Family Caregiver Alliance
- National Alliance for Caregiving
- Toll-free Statewide Senior Information Line at 1-800-510-2020